Thursday, March 09, 2017

Descartes, Myself, and an unending conversation

Colleen asked me, "How can it be there? If there's nothing there, how can there be something there?"

I had just told her about a developing argument in my thinking. I want to show a counterexample to Descartes' cogito, "I think, therefore I am." I want to show how thinking can occur without existence.

I think we see this in Blindsight. I think we see this in The Mysterious Stranger. I think we see this in Emerson's "The Oversoul."

But most importantly, I think it is what Metzinger is after in his phenomenal self model concept in Being No One and The Ego Tunnel.

By writing up and lecturing on the concept of totalitarianism, I worked out a way to unthink The Party in my own mind. The way out from tyranny involves understanding how God is not Power.

The consequences of such a revelation were the unworking of key aspects of my own thinking and living processes. I had to die in order to live.

By writing up and lecturing on the concept of souls and oversouls/spirits, I worked out a way to unthink the Self in my own mind. The way out from egocentrism involves understanding how You is Me.

The consequences of such a revelation are the unworking of key aspects of my own thinking and living processes. I have to love in order to live.

In the process of living and thinking about such things, I have learned how the thinking occurs without any need on my own part to participate. Various people talk with me about different key ways of doing this in their own lives.

Disassociation (and datassocation)
Meditation on the Void
The backseat
Drugs
Depersonalization
Voices
Empathy
Mirror neurons
Trance
Spirit Possession

By understanding how we form multiple self-reflections across material systems, I came to understand how my own self model is the result of these various material systems interacting in a tunnel whose enclosure is only as narrow or as multidimensional, as parafinite in its being, as I please.

I still hear Eugene Long, a different spiritual father of mine, tell me "You make it your own."

I think the truth of that is how it has made me.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, this is deep ... you seem depressed...

    WANT ME TO SEND YOU SOME MEMES!?

    ReplyDelete

Is this wise?
Is this yours?
Is this love?

Real Time Web Analytics