Sunday, July 12, 2015

briefly

"Oh, wow! Is that a real gun!" He's eight. He's probably shot more guns than I have thanks to the Call of Duty and GTA franchises.

"Yeah, that's an air rifle." Okay, admittedly, maybe before letting the single-digit types loose in our loveden house filled with books and rocks and older books and poetry magazines and sentimental junk, I should have put the less dangerous things away.

"Do you shoot with it?"

"Yes, I do. I mostly shoot squirrels... and little boys who ask too many questions."

He looks at me. I look at him and squint. He starts slowly giggling.

His dad's girlfriend, who's a little more than a decade older, shoos him out the house. She's wearing a nice brown dress, exposed down the back, bulging from the front where she's carrying dad's fourth attempt.

Kids are amazing.

1 comment:

  1. They are! Wesley will be a year old in 5 days. I can't wait to see more of the little person he is once he starts talking.

    ReplyDelete

Is this wise?
Is this yours?
Is this love?

Real Time Web Analytics