Friday, March 06, 2015

I know this scene.

Twin Peaks: Second Season, Episode "Masked Ball"

4. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM

Sitting at the conference table is ROGER HARDY. On each side of him are TWO MEN in slate suits, with eyes as even as colored water. Before Hardy is an open folder, Cooper's badge, I.D. and gun. Cooper enters, closes the door and sits down. On the table between him and these three men sit three dark blue fedora hats.

COOPER
Roger.

HARDY
Dale.

A beat. The two underlings sit as still as bookends.

HARDY (CONT'D)
Showtime, Agent Cooper. You've heard the charges.
What do you wish to present in your defense?

COOPER
I have no defense.

The two operatives look over at Hardy, who stares inquisitively at Cooper. The man on Hardy's left, whose job it is to record testimony, tentatively takes down this response.

COOPER (CONT'D)
I'm completely confident in the rightness of my actions.
Some of it went down outside bureau stipulations, yes, I
accept that and I'll pay the price. But I'm innocent of
any criminal wrong doing. If they wish to charge me I'll
defend myself in a court of law.

HARDY
(to the man on his left)
Close the book.
(he does so; Hardy to Cooper)
Dale, there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. And
the first thing we expect a bureau man to do is stand up
for himself. A man who can't, who doesn't even try, may
be packing feathers where his spine's supposed to be.

COOPER
Roger, I know the move I'm supposed to make. And I
know the board.

HARDY
(palms turned upward)
So ...

COOPER
I've done a lot of thinking. And I've started to focus out
beyond the end of the board. On a bigger game.

HARDY
(losing patience)
What 'game'?

COOPER
The sound wind makes through the pines. The sentience
of animals. The last thought of a homeless man before he
takes a night's sleep. What we fear in the dark. And
what's beyond the dark.

HARDY
What the hell are you talking about?

COOPER
I'm talking about seeing beyond fear, Roger. About
looking at the world with love.

HARDY
Cooper, you're liable to be extradited for murder and
drug trafficking -

COOPER
That's something I can't control -

HARDY
(hard stare)
Your suspension will continue in force. The next moves
are the Canadian government's and a DEA investigation,
which begins today.
(a slight softening)
You've cracked a big case. You've been under a lot of
pressure. I may recommend a full psychological work-up.

COOPER
(rises, pleasantly)
Thank you for your candor, Roger. So long fellas.

Cooper stands, looks over at his gun, badge and I.D. card, and starts away. ANGLE ON those objects, still sitting on the table, as we HEAR the door shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is this wise?
Is this yours?
Is this love?

Real Time Web Analytics