Friday, May 02, 2014

The addiction going undiagnosed but as a joke

Here is a link to a story on Business Insider concerning the latest update to the Snapchat software. For full disclosure, I clearly do not have a Snapchat app on my Galaxy S2 I leased two years ago since I have no idea what any of this means (old man), but a high-school teacher reports one tiny anecdote about a group of girls in her classroom:

We have a seminar period in the morning and every single kid was working on downloading [the update]. Some could and some couldn't so I am guessing it wasn't an all at once thing. I don't limit phone usage during that time, so I didn't pay much attention. By the next hour, however, I think everyone had it updated.
I am pretty lenient about phone use in my class because we use phones for various things. (Most kids don't have a separate calculator, we take pictures of things we do in lab, there are some apps that we use on projects, that kind of thing.) There is always the kid that sneaks in a text or two, but as long as it isn't a distraction, I don't worry too much.
Today was the first day in a long time I actually took phones away. I have no idea what all was included in the update, but you would have thought it was crack. They seriously could not keep away from it. I even had one girl crawl under the table with her phone.
At that point I took all the phones away and we had a little reminder chat about when it was appropriate to use your phone and when it was not. Also that it was rarely appropriate to hide under the table.
For quite awhile now, kids have had a real anxiety about being separated from their phone, but today it was near panic. I am hoping by tomorrow some of the novelty will have worn off and we can get back to business.

Notice the identified offender is female. Notice how the 'target demographic' of teens must be gendered as female. Why are females taking Snapchat pictures and having-conversations-that-only-vanish-when-the-user-closes-it? Who is implicitly the audience, if not all of us finding this story fascinating? Voyeurism into voyeurs peeping on sleeping little girls, fetishization of fetishization, which is something no longer sexual at all, entirely clinical, but still deeply insistent on the genital, and surveilling it. The girl, after all, does the indecent thing of hiding under a table, crawling down below, in order to smoke her phone, her crack.


And we, just as I, serve this revelation of a fascination with a teenage girl's obsessions with exposing her body up to you. I am addict, you see, and so are you. Because the addiction isn't the girl's; it's yours for wanting youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is this wise?
Is this yours?
Is this love?

Real Time Web Analytics